FORGOT YOUR DETAILS?

Chargers confident of building new stadium by 2022

by / Tuesday, 05 April 2016 / Published in Business

Fitzgerald Cecilio – 4E Sports Reporter

San Diego, CA, United States (4E Sports) – The San Diego Chargers are confident of building a new football stadium by 2022 to replace the aging Qualcomm Stadium.

The stadium, to be built in downtown San Diego, would be municipally owned by a new Joint Powers Authority.

The authority will be created to run the stadium and all non-football entertainment events, including concerts.

A source said, the proposed 65,000-seat downtown stadium would call for the Chargers to apply $650 million in private funding toward the new venue, which would include a $300 million contribution from the NFL.

The team’s proposal to build a football stadium downtown with an expanded bayfront convention center would contradict the plan of mayor Kevin Faulconer and San Diego County Supervisor Ron Roberts, who support a stadium in Mission Valley, site of the Chargers’ current home.

The Chargers previously said the downtown venue would “create an unparalleled entertainment and sports district” to host Super Bowls and provide a home for Comic-Con, the annual entertainment and comic extravaganza that has outgrown the convention center.

If the ballot measure for a new stadium fails, the Chargers could join the Los Angeles Rams in a stadium in Inglewood scheduled to open in 2019.

Although the Chargers agreed in principle to join the Rams, Chargers chairman Dean Spanos said after the setback that the team would remain in San Diego at least through 2016 in an attempt to get a new stadium.

The NFL will give the Chargers and Raiders each an extra $100 million to go toward new stadiums in their home markets, aside from the $200 million loan available to each team.

Leave a Reply

TOP